Friday, June 19, 2009

Now we are getting some winter... & Happy Father's Day!


Ok, since last Monday it's been rainy and just a little bit chilly. We are going to be having rain, thunder and lightening for a while. It's worst in some places around the country and it sucks if don't own a car and have to go out being splashed by cars or having to use the city bus :s

Last year 97% of all the roads in the country had severe damage because of the nonstopping rain. They did repair most of it but as usual they didn't use the best material to fix things so we are already seeing some of the huge holes again! ugh! As a plus we have more traffic and a lot of car accidents and believe it or not 2 little girls and 2 women died after a mud slide went over their house!
Last year 69 people died this way. These people live in very dangerous places, near cliffs or inside the cliffs, an awfully dangerous place to live. They just don't have any other option.
Also the rain has already destroyed some bridges in Escuintla and only God knows what is to come :s And all of this without mentioning the earthquakes that increase during this season, we already have had enough of them if you ask me!

Well,
Let's talk about happier things now....
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! to all the wonderful daddies out there
This is actually a late post for me since we celebrate father's day on June 17th though I know it is father's day in the US.
We had a great day with my dad, he is working out of town but managed to stay in the city so we could spend some time together on his special day. As it was wednesday and we all had things to do, he picked us up to go out for dinner. We had lots of hugs and loving words in the morning, no present since I am a penniless student so it was all hugs.
I love my dad so much, he is such a great man and I have learn a lot from him.
I love how he's so good at his job, how he is always willing to help others, how he knows almost every corner of this country, how he gives me supportive words when I'm not doing so good at school, how he holds his gilr's (my mom, my sister or me) hand when wherever we are walking, how he gets emotional about things that not even I get emotional about, how he doesn't like to watch horror movies, how he's so loving with little children, how he always says yes to everything we ask him for even when it never happens (my mom makes it happen at the end lol).

Believe me there are not enough restaurants in this city to hold a ton of hungry people on a holiday!
It was the same thing for mother's day, it felt like it was Christmas Eve with all the traffic and crowds everywhere and parking lots full.
He drove to about 5 different restaurants and they were all full! So we ended up going to this place called Arrin Cuan where they serve all kinds of typical guatemalan food, in this mix of old-modern house turned into a restaurant. The food was yummie and we had a great time together!

In other news, can you believe we have over 200 cases of swine flu! Just a week ago we had not even hit the 100 cases! I think there is a lot more people with the disease out there and the government just doesn't want to tell that to the media and they refuse to claim a calamity state.
At least most of the kids are off school... but even now I have not seen anyone wearing a mask to go anywhere!



Photobucket

No comments: