Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Living in the city of FEAR

Well, once again I must say what a lousy blogger I am.
The past days have been chaotic, lots and lots of things to do, places to be... just so many things there is not enough time!
First of all I had two big exams for this week (yesterday and today) and so I became "book face" once more and along came the lack of sleep which can make me really fussy.
Good news is that as far as I know most of my answers where right and I will have some decent grades.

On other things, I want to say a belated Happy Women's Day! to any wonderful women reading this post anywhere.
This past weekend was nothing but heartwrenching, there where so many people killed! The police found 2 young girls dead, one was found burned and the other was cut in pieces and the body parts where in plastic bags in a large area.
3 bus drivers were shot and died. I have to mention this is something that has become somehow common in GC. Only in the first 3 months of 2009, more than 20 bus drivers have been murdered in the same circumstances. So everytime you get on a bus or someone close to you gets on one you can only pray and pray that he gets to wherever he/she is going safe and sound (though they might get safe it doesn't mean they didn't get robbed while in the bus!)
It is very frightening to live this way. Robberies happen everywhere now, we are literally afraid of driving in our cars with the windows open because the robbers now drive motorcycles and use the red lights to point guns to the drivers and take their stuff away!!
There were also 5 police chasing incidents all over the country the drug cartels are trying to get the control of the country to pass drugs! There are dozens of people dead because of this, there have been several masacres in the past months.

Besides all of the mess we have to live with here, summer is here and that also means that fires are a threat in many parts of the country. AND from sunday to this day we have had 3 earthquakes!! (I HATE EARTHQUAKESSSS!!) According to the newspaper there have been 17 earthquakes since sunday but only 3 where sensitive all over the country.

Anyway, I just keep praying and praying that this violence ends very soon because it can't get any worst than what it is. When there are teenagers killing people just to be accepted in a gang or just because they are going to receive a meal or clothes in return something is seriously wrong with the society.

2 comments:

Pam L said...

Eva,
It is frightening and sad when conditions get so bad that people feel they have to resort to violence as a way of survival. I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers.

On a happier note, I'm glad you did well on your exams :) I can't imagine all of the studying you have to do. Keep up the good work!

Lisa said...

My heart goes out to all the good people of Guatemala trying to live a peaceful life in the midst of this violence. Please stay safe!
Lisa and Ella
p.s. Glad you did well on your exams.